Sunday, December 23, 2007

Overheard in Harvard Square, part 2

Okay, so I couldn't wait until the Patriots game. I wrote it during Sports Center.

Here's the complete villanelle in its current form, with a big thank you to that Harvard Square girl who walked in front of Au Bon Pain at 7:53 last night. For the record, this is the first villanelle I've ever written:


OVERHEARD IN HARVARD SQUARE

"I think I've finally figured out romance,"
The young brunette declared in Harvard Square.
"The dancer doesn't matter -- it's the dance.

“You think you’re in the capital of France
And all it gets you is the croix de guerre.
I think I've finally figured out romance.

“You can make love to thousands of gallants
And not a single one of them will care.
The dancer doesn't matter -- it's the dance.

“The point is never passing up the chance
To lose at Risk instead of Solitaire.
I think I’ve finally figured out romance.

“Today’s sure thing is payment in advance
To help you meet tomorrow’s love affair.
The dancer doesn’t matter –- it’s the dance.

“Stop chasing after anything with pants
As if you're only Ginger with Astaire.
I think I've finally figured out romance:
The dancer doesn't matter -- it's the dance."
Matthew Wells, 12/22-23/07

No comments: