Monday, January 14, 2008

Weekend Update














Tift Merritt at Union Hall. "This is probably going to be my last acoustic performance for a while," she said. Feel sorry you missed it, music fans.




The Battle of Spotsylvania Court House at Coney Island. "Go ahead. Shoot me in the french fries. Go ahead--do it. Shoot me. Shoot me in the french fries. I dare you. I dare you to shoot me in the french fries. Ah ha! You couldn't hit an elephant at that dist--"



Juno. Can I tell you how refreshing it is to see a Hollywood movie where the women are smarter and more together than the men? Y'know, like in real life? Okay, there are exceptions (y'know, like in real life), but the film nails the Peter Pan male and his inner 19-year-old (y'know, like in my life). Plus the high school slang is used the same way Shakespeare uses blank verse, as a high-intelligence contrast to the plain down-to-earth prose that signals direct emotional engagement without referencing Iggy and the Stooges, Diana Ross, or Thundercats. And I want that hamburger phone.

No comments: