Monday, March 9, 2009

. . . and I'll look up and whisper "yes."

The Watchmen movie made me very very happy. How happy? This happy:




I'll say more at greater length soon, but right now, three thoughts.

"This movie is a love letter to the fans of the graphic novel." My friend Jay said that when we walked out of the 10:45 Saturday morning show at the Times Square AMC, and he's right. I cannot believe how much of the comic book made it onto the screen. So much, in fact, that I can't honestly recommend it to anyone who's not a fan of the comic, because I don't know what the hell you'll think of it. But if you do like the comic book, you will not be disappointed. Yes, there were changes, but they're dwarfed by what was faithfully honored.

Sauce of milk, please. God, were those reviews condescending or what? The New York Times wants me to grow up; the New Yorker thinks that nobody over twenty-five could take any joy from the savagery that is fleshed out onscreen, just as nobody under eighteen should be allowed to witness it. Well you know what? The fact that the Grey Lady and the Weekly Snob don't get this movie is fifty points in its favor, because what they're really arguing against is the graphic novel, which means that even THEY recognize how much of Moore and Gibbons made it intact to the movie screen.

Hands down. Best opening credit sequence ever:

No comments: