Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Mooning over Myrna -1

I broke down and bought the Myrna Loy/William Powell box set a couple of weeks ago, and finally got around to watching Manhattan Melodrama over the weekend for only maybe the third time in my life (I know; I know -- I'm such a slacker). I was immediately struck by (1) an idea for a short story and (b) the immediate chemistry between Myrna Loy and William Powell in their first screen meeting. For a woman who was voted Hollywood's Queen to Gable's King, Loy's scenes with Gable the gangster feel, well, "scripted" would be the best word. As opposed to her initial scene with Powell (below), which is like a breath of fresh air. Are they ad-libbing? Is that playfulness real? It sure comes across as real, in a way that the rest of the movie doesn't. Just look at that smile on Powell's face at about the 1 minute 48 second mark:



Bill? if I was in a car with that woman? I'd be grinning too.

More clips to come.

1 comment:

Molly said...

Wow. What a fabulous scene. Now I'll have to go out and get that Loy/Powell set. Banter real? Banter written? Who is the screenwriter? The best stuff seems unscripted, but often fools us. Wow. Thanks for posting.